Computer Science Instructor
Gateway University High School
Memphis, TN US
Gateway University is seeking a mission-driven, founding Computer Science/IT Teacher for a new start charter school in Downtown Memphis. Prior programming experience isn’t required – but a desire to learn computer science and expand access to all students is a non-negotiable.
Our ideal Computer Science/IT Teacher believes that all students, regardless of zip code, can and will achieve at high levels! They agree that failure is not an option; and they possess Educational Grit – a relentless drive to ensure that every student is successful both academically and emotionally.
They possess a growth mindset – and are excited about taking on new challenges. They constantly seek to understand how they can improve their craft because they know that the better they get, the deeper the impact they will have on student achievement.They seek to ensure that all students can and will have college as a viable option. They have demonstrated a strong passion for deeply impacting our communities, country, and world. They acknowledge that all stakeholders, especially our families, are partners in student achievement. They are committed to being a partner, who will work hard to stay in constant communication, assume the best, be open and honest, seek to understand not always to be understood, and give and take constructive feedback and support. Ultimately, they understand that time is a precious resource, but we make time to find joy and excitement in what we do each and every day.
Director of Curriculum & Instruction and School Principal
Essential Duties & Responsibilities of Founding Computer Science/IT Teacher
- Develop and teach clear and engaging lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core aligned Gateway curriculum
- Hold students accountable for high behavioral expectations and implement Gateway’s behavior management system with consistency
- Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative planning, and professional development, including an annual summer institute
- Collaborate with department members to develop and refine Gateway’s Computer Science curriculum
- Implement and support the development of a rigorous cutting edge Computer Science program that develops scholars as problem solvers and analytical thinkers who apply Computer Science/IT skills to their everyday lives
- Utilize formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards
- Build a warm and inclusive classroom environment, implementing the practices of Responsive Classroom
- Create and maintain strong relationships with students and families
- Provide additional remediation and acceleration based on formative assessments so that individual students are appropriately challenged according to their zones of proximal development
- Actively participate in opportunities to strengthen her/his own pedagogical skills as well as contribute to the learning of colleagues
- Serve as an advisor to a group of students to support their academic and non-academic growth and development
- Contribute to the school’s smooth and efficient operation by fulfilling required administrative duties and responsibilities and maintaining open and proactive communication with colleagues
- Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of his or her students, and work to actively overcome setbacks
Our ideal Founding Computer Science/IT Teacher candidates will possess the following qualifications:
- Associate’s degree required; Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Industry Certifications A+, and/or Net Plus, CISCO, Java, Python, etc
- Two years of work experience in Computer Science/Information Technology
- A minimum of three years teaching experience in an urban high needs secondary school setting, is strongly preferred (highly preferred)
- Proven ability to provide high quality teaching of all sections of High School Computer Science/IT including Computer Science Foundations, Coding, Computer Systems, Networking, Networking, AP Computer Science
- Track record in obtaining dramatic and measurable results in academic, social, and emotional skills development
- Experience in curriculum planning using Understanding By Design
- Deep content knowledge and the ability to effectively teach that content knowledge to a range of secondary grades and explain the content to students with a variety of ability levels
- Deep understanding of Common Core standards and high-quality, exciting teaching practices that ensure students exceed those standards
- Experience with and a deep understanding of both formative and summative assessment and creating corresponding action plans
- Experience planning and executing advisory and college readiness programs for high school students
- Experience working with teacher teams
- Flexibility and “roll-up my sleeves” attitude and a willingness to take on additional roles as it relates to the needs of a start up organization
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. We also offer a comprehensive benefits plan as well as the opportunity career growth, and to impact a growing, mission driven organization that is committed to the success of Memphis students.
Please submit a resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, please explain how you heard about Gateway University and your interest and qualifications for the position. You will also be asked to answer the following four questions. You may want to plan your answers in advance:
- Why do you want to be a founding member of the Gateway University Team?
- Think back to a classroom in which you experienced profound joy. Describe the classroom. What did it feel like? Did you appreciate it at the time or understand its value in retrospect?
- What’s your greatest strength as an educator/leader? What is your greatest weakness/area of growth?
- What do you find gives you the most energy on a daily basis in your current role? What do you find drains the most energy?
This employer strives for a balanced, productive workforce, which is diverse in terms of age, gender, and cultural identity. We do not base hiring or promotional decisions on factors other than performance and professional growth potential.
Job Type: Full-time
- computer science and/or information technology: 2 years
- teaching: 2 years
Required licenses or certifications:
- Business Technology 153
- industry certifications (e.g. A+ or Net Plus or Java/Python or CIW or CISCO or similar)
- Occupational License IT 740