Systems Analyst/Programmer II
Fort Pierce Utilities Authority
Fort Pierce, FL US
Systems Analyst/Programmer II is responsible for technical and analytical work involving the planning, design, programming and implementation of application based systems and projects. Responsible for designing turnkey interface applications via web based technology, i.e., portals, web sites, Intranets and database driven content. Responsible for the feasibility and practicality of requested services; diagnose system failures to isolate source of the problem between system software and application programs and/or customer training by providing technology support where appropriate. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Systems Analyst Supervisor, with projects being completed in teamwork with other Information Technology Services staff members.
Essential Job Functions:
(NOTE: There are also secondary functions, which the employee will be required to perform.)
- Consults with staff in various departments to understand their function; defines systems and processing problems and designs system or application based solutions from derived specifications. Documents recommendations; develops methodology for implementing improvements and may serve as project lead from project inception through implementation.
- Responds to client request for service on problematic systems; troubleshoots problems and develops solutions.
- Provides strategic direction and conducts development for, day-to-day management of, and ongoing changes to our internet/intranet web sites and web-related applications.
- Establishes and produces web-based solutions and data sharing in concert with various departments and other Systems staff members.
- Administers FPUA’s central database(s) to ensure its integrity, reliability, currency, accuracy and security; assists with FPUA-wide client/server database programming as needed.
- Monitors implementation of packaged software upgrades as well as enhancements and fixes.
- Works with other programming staff and/or end users to plan, develop, test and implement business solutions using a variety of tools and languages, including VB.net, ASP.net and other programming and web scripting languages.
- Maintains, modifies and enhances existing programs and scripts.
- Programs and script from own design or from specifications developed by others.
- Performs data extraction, imports functions, and administration of MS-SQL.
- Oversees the technical design, development and maintenance of databases and master files; provides technical advice and support to users and developers in the use of the database(s).
- Develops SQL jobs and SSIS packages; designs, implements and maintains internal database relationships and views for easy access to data.
- Evaluates database technology alternatives; researches and advises higher level staff on system capabilities.
- Confers with vendors regarding system and database related issues; acts as liaison between other departments and software vendors as needed.
- Corrects database system failures by analyzing causes and developing and implementing solutions; monitors corrective actions.
- Recommends modifications to external procedures to improve the efficiency of database operations; converts external databases into usable FPUA formats.
- Evaluates new software. Advises Information Technology Services staff on software alternatives necessary to meet project’s goals and objectives.
- Prepares training material and trains others in the use of application systems and programs and methods of extracting and compiling data, where applicable. Defines test schedule and tests data requirements. Defines computer controls and input/output specifications.
- Documents programs and subsystems for the users of the systems and technically for other Information Technology Services staff.
- Seeks opportunities to improve client work flow and suggests automation methods to streamline processes. Recommends systems modifications to external procedures to improve the efficiency of operations.
- Processes customer requests for troubleshooting failures and questions and takes corrective actions by interpreting problems and providing first-level technical support for hardware, software, and network systems.
- Develops, maintains and assists users with MS Office products including Microsoft Office Add-In's.
- Cultivates and cross-trains backup Systems staff member(s) to fulfill primary job functions in his/her absence.
- Works under minimal supervision.
Essential Minimum Qualifications:
Graduation from an accredited college with a four (4) year degree in computer science, information systems, or related field plus a minimum of five (5) years related experience. Related programming experience should include VB.net, .Net framework, ASP.net, and/or C#. Any combination of education and experience in a computer programming related field may be substituted for the minimum qualifications. The following certifications are desired: MCPD, MCITP, and/or CIW Web Design Professional.
Any combination of education and experience in a computer programming related field may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
Promotion into this position is not automatic. All of the following criteria must be met before eligibility for promotion will be considered:
- Legitimate need of the Department;
- Approval of the Department Head;
- The employee must have scored 60 or higher on annual evaluations;
- Minimum of three (3) years of commendable and/or outstanding experience as a FPUA Systems Analyst/Programmer I;
- Must be an approved budgeted position, and
- Preference will be given to certifications and/or degrees obtained.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Considerable knowledge of:
- Principles and techniques used in the preparation of computer programs.
- System programming languages and tools, including VB.net, .NET framework and ASP.net using Visual Studio 2003 or later.
- RDBMs, specifically MS SQL Server, to include development tools, queries, and database backup, recovery and disaster recovery procedures.
- Latest web technology and applications, including Web Services, HTML, CSs, Java Script, Ajaz, XHTML, XML, DHTML, PHP, CGI; web publishing authorware and graphic design software, such as Front Page, Dreamweaver, and Photoshop.
- Business systems, methods and procedures and the application of computers in business, government, and industry.
General knowledge of:
- Database architectures.
- MS SQL Server performance tuning, client/server connectivity, query optimization, running Database Consistency checks.
- Writing Stored Procedures and Triggers
- Web server architecture.
- Active Directory and group policies.
- Write and modify moderately complex programs, applications and/or scripts.
- Resolve analytical challenges by demonstrating logical reasoning and problem solving abilities.
- Develop and maintain operations and programming documentation. Maintain technical reports.
- Communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Work well in a team environment within a customer service oriented organization.
- Work well with end users in either a one on one basis or in a group for the purposes of analysis/training/ implementation.
- Make independent decisions and work with minimal supervision.
- Prioritize multiple tasks and meet project deadlines.
- Troubleshoot existing systems and programming malfunctions and take corrective actions.
- React to change productively and to handle other tasks as assigned.