Blue Valley School District
Overland Park, KS US
- The job of Senior Development Manager is done for the purpose/s of planning, coordinating and supervising all activities related to the design, development and implementation of organizational information systems and software applications
- maintaining, supporting and upgrading existing systems and applications
- managing and building the operations end of the organization's Web sites and keeping them running smoothly, including designing, building, and implementing new Web pages and sites
- integrating sites with backend applications
- migrating legacy applications to the Web
- performing day-to-day administration of the organization's Web portfolio
- Manages the development team responsible for software development for the District
- Analyzes development projects for the purpose of ensuring they meet business requirements and goals,
fulfill end-user requirements, and identify and resolve systems issues.
- Collaborates with analysts, designers and system owners in the testing of new software programs and
applications for the purpose of ensuring the new or revised software applications/programs meet defined
requirements and expected functionality.
- Conducts research into current and emerging Web technologies and issues for the purpose of
supporting Web development efforts and district goals.
- Coordinates feasibility studies for software and system products under consideration for purchase for the
purpose of giving advice based on findings.
- Cultivates, disseminates and enforces functional policies, procedures and quality assurance best
practices for the purpose of ensuring efficient and effective systems.
- Defines Web site architecture and overall site structure for the purpose of meeting district goals.
- Designs, develops and installs enhancements and upgrades to systems and application software for the
purpose of maintaining district systems.
- Develops code, installs, tests, debugs and documents Web application using appropriate editors for the
purpose of meeting district goals.
- Develops and communicates Web site usage and security policies and standards to all users for the
purpose of communicating district standards.
- Diagnoses and troubleshoots problems with existing Web applications and sites for the purpose of
- Establishes policies and procedures for publishing Web pages and applications in conjunction with
content creators for the purpose of providing reference materials and ensuring compliance with
- Identifies, recommends and prioritizes new Web features and applications in conjunction with business
leaders and department managers for the purpose of meeting district goals.
- Installs and configures HTTP servers and associated operating systems, and establishes appropriate
server directory trees for the purpose of ensuring efficient operations.
- Senior Development Manager
- Leads pre-testing phase of development by evaluating proposals for the purpose of identifying potential
problem areas, and making the appropriate recommendations.
- Liaise with network administrators and software engineers for the purpose of assisting with quality
assurance, program logic and data processing.
- Manages the development and deployment of new applications, systems software and/or enhancements
to existing applications throughout the enterprise for the purpose of ensuring new or modified
applications/software meet defined requirements and expected functionality.
- Manages and provides direction for the application development team for the purpose of supporting
- Manages and/or provides guidance to junior members of the team for the purpose of assisting them in
understanding and developing applications.
- Monitors and reports on Web site traffic and performance for the purpose of providing data and
- Oversees Web sites and related applications for the purpose of ensuring adequate security.
- Oversees Web development projects, including intranets and extranets for the purpose of maintaining
current standards and meeting stated project goals and district guidelines.
- Participates in setting organizational Web development strategy for the purpose of meeting district goals.
- Performs periodic Web site audits for the purpose of determining relevancy, security and if they are
meeting the goals of the district.
- Performs cost-benefit analyses of proposed Web implementations for the purpose of ensuring the
efficient use of district resources.
- Prepares, establishes, and monitors budgets for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective use
of district resources.
- Provides technical leadership to project managers and programmers working on development project
teams for the purpose of delivering services in compliance with guidelines and/or objectives.
- Researches and makes recommendations on software products and services for the purpose of
supporting the procurement and development.
- Researches any new software integration into district systems for the purpose of ensuring it meets
functional requirements, system compliance and interface specifications.
- Reviews and analyzes existing application effectiveness and efficiency for the purpose of developing
strategies for improving or leveraging these systems.
- Troubleshoots application software for the purpose of identifying and resolving program errors.
- Updates Web pages for the purpose of ensuring site accuracy and currency.
- Works with database administrator for the purpose of designing, developing and updating databases as
they relate to Web applications.
Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective
functioning of the work unit.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform multiple, technical tasks with a need to occasionally upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include:
- Using pertinent software applications (e.g. MS Office, Java, SQL, HTML, etc.)
- planning and managing projects
- use of a variety of Web development languages including Sharepoint, .NET, SQL, HTML, SML, and CSS
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform algebra and/or geometry; read technical information, compose a variety of documents, and/or facilitate group discussions; and solve practical problems. Specific knowledge based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include:
- Elements of graphic design and layout; database design and file management techniques; working knowledge of network and PC operating systems, including MS Server 2008 R2 & Linux; knowledge of network hardware, protocols and standards including TCP/IP
- knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and law; staff and small team management; application development methodologies
- knowledge of best practices to guide the development team on issues related to the design, development and deployment of mission-critical information and software systems
- automated software and system management tools; strong knowledge of system and software quality assurance best practices and methodologies
- structuring, developing and implementing interactive corporate Web sites
ABILITY is required to schedule activities and/or meetings; gather, collate, and/or classify data; and consider a number of factors when using equipment.
Flexibility is required to work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; work with data utilizing defined but different processes; and operate equipment using a variety of standardized methods.
Ability is also required to work with a diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with a variety of data; and utilize a variety of job-related equipment. Problem solving is required to identify issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data requires independent interpretation of guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is moderate.
Specific ability based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include:
- Strong customer-service orientation; communicating with persons of varied backgrounds and technical expertise
- communicating technical information to non-technical audiences; effective listening and interpersonal skills
- conduct research into emerging Internet technologies and programming languages
- attention to detail
- prioritize and execute tasks in a high pressure environment; meeting deadlines and schedules
- working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- self-motivated and directed
- working under limited supervision using standardized practices and/or methods
- directing other persons within a small work unit
- tracking budget expenditures. utilization of some resources from other work units is often required to perform the job's functions.
There is a continual opportunity to have some impact on the organization’s services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling, some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 75% sitting, 10% walking, and 15% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment.
Job related experience within a specialized field is required.
Bachelors degree in job-related area.
College degree in computer systems design or computer science is preferred.
Additionally, a minimum of four years of direct experience in software development and/or programming design and systems management. Proven experience in overseeing the direction, development and implementation of web-based software solutions. Experience in staff and small team management.
Continuing Educ. / Training
As required for the position.
Certificates and LicensesOne or more of the following:
MCPD, MCTS(Sharepoint), W3C, CWP, and/or CIW.
Maintained andupdated as required for the position.
Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance Kansas Certification of Health
View Original Post